. Serwis Naukowy PAP
Scientists ranked as the most and politicians as the least honest professional groups in a recent poll by the CBOS public opinion institute (August 2000). 62 percent of the CBOS respondents said scientists and scholars were honest and reliable in their work. Among other professional groups named as honest were nurses (57%) dentists (38%), teachers (43%), journalists (41%) and clergymen (33%).
Pope John Paul II
at meeting with rectors in Torun on the birthday of the 16th century Polish astronomer
Torun, June 7, 1999
Pope John Paul II about scientific investigations
Cracow, June 8, 1997
- Webster Definition for "science"
- Nobel Prize Laureates
- Famous discoverers, travelers and scientists
- Most important scientific expeditions and journeys
- Directory of scientific institutions
- Search databases:(external links)
- INFOBAZA - National Information about Databases for Science
- Projekty badawcze KBN
- Rozprawy doktorskie i habilitacyjne w Polsce od 1990 r.
- SYNABA - Scientific Research in Poland
- Scientific and Academic Activities of Polish Universities
- Baza czasopism naukowych importowanych do Polski
- Electronic edition of Polish scientific journals
- Journal Lists from Institute for Scientific Information (Lista filadelfijska)
- Science Citation Index-Expanded (SCI-Ex)
- Biblioteka Wirtualna - System sieciowego udostępniania naukowych baz danych poprzez ICM
- NGO Information Bank KLON/JAWOR
- WWWeb/HTTP - X.500/LDAP Gateway for Poland
- Users e-mail addresses
- Stowarzyszenie Doktorantów oraz Studentów i Ludzi Nauki
- Search Webster Dictionary & LOGOS Dictionary
The strategic objective of science in Poland is:
- acquisition original and important achievements in the most attractive research currents on the world,
- acquisition original and important technologies and their utilization in technological colaboration in Poland and between Poland and the rest of the world.
There are a few key Government offices which are engaged in realisation of above goals. First of all there are legislative and steering policy offices like the Sejm (Parliament) (Commission on Education, Science and Young People), the Senat (Senate) (Science, Education and Sport Committee), the Board of Science attached to the President of Republic of Poland and the Government (Education, Science, Environmental Protection and Social Programs Task Force). However, the executive power belongs to the Council for Science in the Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the Polish Academy of Sciences.
A particular role is played by the Council for Science. The SC is the leading authority on State policy in the field of science and technology as well as it is the only central governmental source of funds for research. The SC works in four Commissions: the Committee on Scientific and Technology Policy, the Committee on Research for the Development of Science, the Committee on Research for the Development of the Economy and the Committee of Appeal.
Existence of the Council for Science started along with coming into force the Act on Principles of Financing Science on 5th February 2005. In fact it replaced the pre-existing Committee for Scientific Research, which used to be elected on the sole basis of democratic procedure and was a decision making body in the area of science financing.
The Council for Science constitutes a formal representation of research community and plays an advisory role to the Minister of Science and Information Society Technologies, who has a decision-making role in the filed of scientific policy and funding of R&D. The Council for Science is independent from the Minister in issuing its opinions.
The Ministry of Science and Higher Education [MSHE] supervises the activities of the science and higher education institutions. Postsecondary education in Poland is offered by more than 100 universities and colleges which are currently undergoing a phase of major transformation. The objectives of higher education in Poland are:
The Polish Academy of Sciences [PAS] is the foremost scientific institution in Poland.
The PAS is a self-governing corporation of eminent scientists and scholars from all disciplines. It performs:
The PAS has been functioning in Warsaw since 1951, and it assembles over 500 full-members from Poland (342) and abroad (210). The PAS consists of following divisions:
A scientific landscape of Poland is supplemeted by:
In Poland, there are:
Polish scientists (over 70,000; 10,000 professors) have extensive international contacts, in particular with Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, India, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. They participate in many international programs, projects, organizations, and conferences.
|Polish scientists carry out their researches world wide:|
|on the NORTH|
|on the WEST||on the EAST|
|on the SOUTH|
The Information Processing Centre
If you have any comments please drop me a line
You are visitor:
Last Updated: 21 October 2007